This one is an easy and filling go-to salad when I am HUNGRY!
- 1 cup canned canned garbanzo beans (chhole) , rinsed and drained OR soak and boil chhole in pressure cooker.
- 1 medium sized red onion , finely chopped
- 2 medium sized tomatoes , chopped
- 1 cucumber,peeled, seeded, and chopped
- 1/2 head romaine lettuce, sliced
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 tsp. chili powder
- 3 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp. dried dried basil
- 1/4 tsp. dried dried oregano
- 1 clove garlic , finely chopped
- 4 tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 cup low fat feta cheese cubes
- 2 low fat chicken sausages, sliced
Heat 4 tablespoons oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic when the oil is heated. When the garlic is light brown, add garbanzo beans and fry, stirring often, until crisp and golden, 5 to 7 minutes.Add 1/8 tsp. salt and chill powder. Set aside.
In a large bowl, whisk together lime juice, basil, oregano, and remaining 1 tablespoons oil, salt (to taste), and 1/8 teaspoon pepper to make a dressing.Add tomatoes, cucumbers, lettuce, onions, tossing gently to combine.
Transfer to bowls. Garnish with the garbanzo beans, Add in the cheese and sausages. Serve.